About a month ago we suffered a crash of one of our test servers where we were using Bacula to backup a few machines before we implemented the backup method company-wide. Unfortunately, the hard drive broke, yada yada yada. What it comes down to is the following: I've installed Bacula 1.38 (the version on the hard drive that foobared was 1.36) and have had no problems with any tapes that do not contain a Bacula volume or label. In other words, brand new, completely empty tapes work fine. Ones that were previously used and have Bacula volumes on them cause the director to complain about no appendable volume (obviously). I've run the btape test command and restore and know nothing is actually wrong with the tape drive.

I'd like to completely clear the tapes that had old Bacula volumes on them to load them back in to Bacula as though they were never there or at least have a working solution to get the tapes back in to Bacula. However, I haven't found any information on this in the documentation or the mailing list archives. I'm interested in knowing how to clear the tapes or get them back into the system so they can be reused. If there's a better solution than the ones I've listed (or if I've completely missed something), please, let me know or point me in the right direction.

Below is what I've tried so far and the system configuration in case it helps any.

FreeBSD ****.microstrain.com 5.4-RELEASE-p8 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p8 #3: Thu Nov 3 07:46:13 EST 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LIGER i386
Bacula 1.38
Tape Drive: HP SureStore DAT40

Things I've tried:
1. I mounted the drive and tried to delete the Volume, but obviously it's not in the catalog so that's no help. 2. I've run bscan to try to put the Volume back into the catalog with the following input and output. $ /usr/local/bacula/sbin/bscan -V 11_10_05 -v -s -m -c /usr/local/bacula/etc/bacula-sd.conf /dev/nsa0
bscan: butil.c:263 Using device: "/dev/nsa0" for reading.
10-Nov 08:50 bscan: Ready to read from volume "11_10_05" on device "DDS-4" (/dev/nsa0).
bscan: bscan.c:281 Using Database: bacula, User: bacula
bscan: bscan.c:405 Volume is prelabeled. This tape cannot be scanned.
Records added or updated in the catalog:
     0 Media
     0 Pool
     0 Job
     0 File

Here's a copy of the tape entry in my bacula-sd.conf file

Device {
 Name = DDS-4
 Description = "DDS-4 for FreeBSD"
 Media Type = DDS-4
 Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
 AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
 AlwaysOpen = yes
 Offline On Unmount = no
 Hardware End of Medium = no
 BSF at EOM = yes