> Good eye Matt, but that was a just a typo in the email.

I did wonder if it was :-)

> After doing some math I noticed that the volume retention period was one
> year for all of my tapes, even though it was set to four weeks in the pool
> resource. I purged a tape and relabeled it and sure enough the retention
> period was one year. I then changed the pool resource so volume retention
> would be one month. After purging a relabeling a tape the retention period
> is set for 1 month. I then set it back to four weeks in the pool resource,
> and with a relabel the retention period was correctly set. I have no idea
> why this happened, and I can't seem to reproduce it.

Could it be that the volume retention was originally defined in the pool
resource to be 1 year when you originally labeled the tape? This information
is stored for each tape when it is labelled, so changes to the resource
afterwards are not updated for already existing tapes. You need to use the
update command for this. Not sure why this is, probably by design.

> My question now is about recycling volumes. I noticed when using "Recycle
> Oldest Volume", bacula did just that, even if the tape was not in the
> library. It would be ideal if bacula would recycle the oldest available
> volume, will this happen under normal recycle conditions?

By library, I assume you mean pool, yes? I've never used this option, but
under normal conditions it should only recycle the oldest volume from the
pool if the storage daemon requests another volume and there is not one
already available. This option respects retention periods so should not be
recycling volumes that have not passed their retention periods.

How are you observing this behaviour? It should only do anything when a job is
running and requires a new tape.

Matt
--
Matthew Buckland, Network / Support Analyst
Wordbank Limited