richard wrote:
Hi List,

There have been a number of postings over the last few years mentioning
Seagate STT20000A IDE tape drives - has anyone managaed to get one to
work with Bacula?

FWIW - Suse 9.3 on Athlon 2600XP, Bacula 1.38.1 (and earlier versions)

<snip>

Any thoughts gratefully recieved!

Greetings,

I tried for a while, even though I remember reading somewhere in the Bacula documentation that this model tape drive is not supported.

I am using FreeBSD 5.3 and Bacula 1.34.6 btw.

After many tries, mainly experimenting to try to compensate for the difference between tape block size reported by Bacula (btape) and the tape drive documentation, I could not get btape to successfully run, so I gave up.

tar and dump seem to work ok with the tape drive however.

I ended up doing Bacula backups to an external hard drive in a USB enclosure.

Rowdy