Harry,
        I can confidently say that in this business, its not what you know
that's important but
how quickly you can learn something new.
>From what you've said, you obviously don't have anything to worry about on
>that score!

Regards

Andrew R Paterson

DS Ltd.
Cedar Office Park
Cobham Road
Ferndown
Dorset BH21 7SB

Tel: +44 (0) 1202 877188
Fax: +44 (0) 1202 871297
www.ds.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Christoph
Haas
Sent: 27 November 2005 8:10AM
To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Re: What do I need to do to get bacula
talking to mysql

Hi, Harry...

On Sunday 27 November 2005 01:43, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Just for the record, almost my entire background is linux/unix.

That's good to know. It's harder to help someone who is used to expect
getting a complex task working by a press of a button.

> But still, I'm really an illiterate hillbilly that didn't graduate
> from high school so you might say there are some `holes' in my
> education.

Don't know about your experience but many university kids who applied for a
job at my employer(s) didn't even know what an RJ45 jack is. I stopped
worrying about it. There are many good hackers who don't care about
university. Perhaps you lack some knowledge about finite state automatons
or complexity theory but I believe you can live without it until you need
concept for programming and designing projects. In fact I know many good
graduates - but they didn't gain their day-to-day knowledge mostly during
the lectures. :)

> I can write semi complicated shell scripts and ditto for perl.  Far as
> database goes I know less than zip.

If you know Perl then don't fear databases. It's not worse. :)

> I've been rsync/rsnapshotting, and ghosting at times, I've even
> imployed `rar' to create spit dvd backups but mostly I've
> let stuff go unprotected, especially my wifes files since she is
> really a light user.  Probably high time I got a sophisticated backup
> system in place.

Indeed. Most people say they didn't need backups. Typical excuse: "That
data is not very important." But even if it's not the photos of their kids
they will find it takes days and weeks to things up and running again.

> Incidently, I've now gotten pretty far with my testing and sandboxing
> with bacula, I'm running jobs from the bconsole, creating volumes,
> making quite a mess but in generall learning quite a lot as I go.

I threw away my pools and volumes a couple of times until I was satisfied.

> One thing I'd like to try is running a specific backup setup on
> request that backs up a specific directory every minute.
>
> Its not really clear to me yet what happens to different versions of
> files in bacula, are the backups generally a mirror of what is on the
> file system or can on go back thru different versions like with
> rsnapshot?
>
> Also I'm wondering if it is best to let bacula write to one volume (in
> my case `file') for all the stuff on one client, of if it makes sense
> to write to different volumes.

~
~
".signature" [Modified] 1 line --100%--                1,48         All