On Friday 09 December 2005 11:40, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
> > Scott is, unfortunately on a rather long assignment away from home, so
> > for the moment, there won't be any binary rpms.  However, I have
> > release a source rpm for version 1.38.2 (and will do so for any new
> > release).  Using this, you can rather easily build your own rpms
> > on any system.  For instructions on how to build the rpms from
> > the source rpm, please see the documentation in the manual:
> >
> >   http://www.bacula.org/dev-manual/Bacula_ensu_RPM_Packaging.html
>
> Ok, I need to try this. Doesn't look too bad, though I've alvays been a
> little bit scary about building rpms.

Yes, well, learn how to build as non-root, then it is not so scary.  You
should *never* build *any* rpm from source as root, in the same way that you
would probably never build the source as root.

> I remember a long time ago (maybe around the release of FC4) there was a
> discussion about Bacula's compatibility with some new technique used in FC4
> and that especially would be included in FC5. So, is there some spesific
> reason why the most recent Fedora rpms still are called fc3, though FC3
> will be moved to Fedora Legacy project (in other words, getting obsolete)
> in the near future, and FC4 has been out since June? Of course, name of the
> package isn't the big thing, but is it safe to expect at least Bacula
> source code to be compatible with eg. FC5 (that will be out in February)?

Well, I just added the fc4 define to the bacula.spec file because it is what I
am running, but it does exactly the same thing as the fc3 define -- that is I
didn't bother to do the hard part (that Scott always does), update the
dependencies.

To answer your question, I'll probably switch to FC5 a few months after it
comes out.  However, I don't see why the source rpms wouldn't build on FC5
with no change (just use the build_fc4 define).

> --
> TiN

Kern

  (">