From: Martin Simmons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:58 AM
To: Gary Kopp
Cc: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Messages resource and syslog

said:

  Gary> Before I assume no replies so far means that syslog support is
broken or
  Gary> just plain not usable, please allow me to post my query a second
time in
  Gary> hopes that a new set of eyes, with experience with Bacula and
syslog,
  Gary> will see it...

  Gary> Can anyone provide a sample of a messages resource destination
  Gary> specification using "syslog" that they know works?  According to
the
  Gary> Bacula doc, the syntax is supposed to be
  Gary>   <destination> = <address> = <message-type1>, <message-type2>,

  Gary> where I can set "destination" to "syslog".  The doc goes on to
say the
  Gary> value of "address" will be ignored.  The director's parser
complains
  Gary> about an unknown message type if I follow this syntax, seemingly
no
  Gary> matter what I put in for "address".  What I can get the parser
to accept
  Gary> is:
  Gary>   syslog = <message-type1>, <message-type2>, ...

  Gary> But then I can't find anything in any of my Linux logs.  The
Bacula doc
  Gary> says its messages will be logged to the LOG_ERR facility.
LOG_ERR is
  Gary> not a facility, it's a priority, AFAIK.  LOG_ERR isn't actually
a Linux
  Gary> syslog term, it's, I believe, a literal used in some logging
support
  Gary> programming packages.

  Gary> So, I really have three questions:

  Gary> 1) Does the syslog destination really work for Bacula messages?

Yes.

  Gary> 2) What facility and priority are actually being used for the
syslog
  Gary> messages that are generated?

The facility is daemon and the priority is err.

  Gary> 3) What is the correct syntax for a syslog destination in the
messages
  Gary> resource?

With CVS HEAD (1.39.3 17Dec05), I added

syslog = all, !skipped, !saved

to my director's messages resource and the messages from a backup were
printed
by dmesg -a and were also in /var/log/messages.  This was FreeBSD 4.9
with

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none          /var/log/messages

in syslog.conf.

It might be different on Linux.

__Martin