Hello,

On 12/29/2005 2:19 PM, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
Someone wiser than me needs to decide, if it's ok simply to change back

user

to root. Or is there a reason why not to do this? Are there some other
changes that would really require a non-root user?

DIR as non-root:
I suspect that the configuration files were not accessible by user bacula. You can easily check this using the ls command (like ls -l /etc/bacula ) and see if user bacula has read access to the necessary files.
strace can help a lot when tracing that sort of problem.
Perhaps there even isn't a bacula user or group on your system.

Running the DIR as non-root user is, basically, the right thing. The DIR simply doesn't need root permissions, it only needs its own configuration and database access. (And sometimes it calls external scripts, of course.) And of course nobody likes to grant rights to any process which are not actually needed.

On the other hand, if you've got a dedicated backup server, without user access (physical!) and without user accounts, there's no big risk of compromising anything when the DIR runs as root.

Btw, this applies not only to the director, but also to the storage daemon.
It also had been changed to run as bacula instead of root. So, it couldn't
access the tape drive.
File daemon was running as root by default.

As a temporary solution I changed both of them to run as root. I hope
someone tells if this was the proper fix.

If it's proper depends on your needs. Running them both as non-root is a good thing, though.

The FD, though, needs to be run as root when you want to save the whole disk contents.

Arno

--
TiN

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]