Hi Wolfgang,

I, with the help of my friend Tom, got the problems solved. Here it goes:

1.) I have an Exabyte-8900 tape drive that passed all the btape tests with flying colors.  So I didn't think there was a problem with the drive.  We'll there was.  In the bacula-sd.conf file the option under the 8mm drive section: Hardware end of medium = yes; when I set it to no, the drive would stop at the EOF marker and consequently the drive would not fill up as it was doing in the past.

2.) Either I missed it in the manual it is just not there, when you do a bare-metal recovery you must go in and do a mkdir /proc before you reboot.  The system does not do it for you.  Once I did that it all worked fine.

3.) My filesets were not excluding listed items under the Exclude directive.  My work around is that I used Tom's conf file and added my excludes under the Options listing  in Include directive and all worked after that.

I would like to thank all who has given me suggestion along the way and especially Tom Ruth for putting the finishing touches on it.

Thanks,

Trevor

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:

I have no problems backing up a particular working server (RH 9) with
about 3.2 GB worth of data.  I am testing out the restore of this
backup  on another box and it will restore to the test box, but will try
to write 16 GB worth of data instead of just 3.2! It is only a 10 GB
drive to begin with.  I have attached my bacula-fd and dir .conf file if
that can help find a solution.

Is there any chance that you have sparse files on your disk? Are  you
running any database application which uses / creates sparse files?

How much data is actually stored on your backup media? (What was  the
"FD/SD  Bytes  Written"  message  when you performed the backup? What
does "list volumes" etc. give?)

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--