On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 10:25 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> I think you can do things much more simply by using groups and possibly
> tweaking udev, then you won't need to change things back and forth.
> Personally, I took a big hammer to my udev for both the tape drive and the
> control channel. I created a
> /etc/udev/rules.d/40-kerns.rules that contains:
>

> # Devices used by Kern
> KERNEL="hiddev*",               NAME="usb/hiddev%n"
> KERNEL=="ttyS*",                OWNER="kern",GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660"
> KERNEL=="st*",                  OWNER="kern",GROUP="disk", MODE="0640"
> KERNEL=="sg*",                  OWNER="kern",GROUP="disk", MODE="0640"
> KERNEL=="nst*",                 OWNER="kern",GROUP="disk", MODE="0640"
>
> I imagine from that you should be able to figure out how to ensure the
> devices
> are created with the permissions you want ...
>
> --

I like the "big hammer" approach because it's fast. But a bulk change
will cause other problems as well. Most of the hardware I'm using is
Exabyte/Ecrix. They have release some linux tools that can locate and
configure their hardware very easily. The libTool -S will search the
scsi chain for autochangers by them and report their sg* device. They
also have a vxaTool that will do the same.

Since the sd.conf will have the devices listed, it's a relatively easy
process to parse it for the needed devices and use the user and group
setting in the init to make the change. The switch back is mostly for
completeness (put things back when I'm done). Instead of storing the
setting, parsing the udev rules would be best.

But for testing, I've used the Big Hammer method :)
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>