Florian Schnabel wrote:
Juliet Kemp wrote:

How long is it normal for pruning/purging a volume to take? I have found that it takes several hours, even if only purging 2 or 3 jobs (& incremental jobs, rather than full ones) - this obviously can delay backups quite significantly.

pruning shouldn't take hours ...
i can get 6 jobs pruned in about 5-10 minutes ...
i suggest checking your database layout, there were ppl on the mailing list that were missing indices in the database, that would explain why it takes so long for you.

Thanks for the comments (& others who helped).

It turned out that I was missing the JobID index in the database. I've updated this, & also moved the mysql server to another (significantly faster) machine. Hopefully things will speed up a bit now - I'll find out next week when the next lot of tapes are pruned.

Regards,
Juliet