Ian Levesque wrote:

> Dear Ryan, et al.,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
>>> 1. How should I manage the mixture of LTO-1 and LTO-2 tapes in the
>>> ADIC with bacula? I set up two pools, one for each media type. I run
>>> the "label barcodes" command to use the ADIC's barcode scanner to add
>>> the tapes to the database, but this puts all the tapes in one pool.
>>> Is the solution to then manually move the LTO-2 tapes to their
>>> respective pool? If so, what's the best method in bacula?
>>>
>> Using different pools should be based on the purpose of the pool  rather
>> than the type of media in it.
>

> Indeed, which is why the LTO-2 tapes are in another pool - it's for
> backing up very large filesystems once a month. So, I would think
> separate pools are in order.

Sounds like it.

>> I would suggest loading only the LTO-1 tapes, running 'label
>> barcodes' to add them to a pool, then swap all of them out with your
>> LTO-2 tape and re-running 'label barcodes' to add them to a different
>> pool. This would probably be the most efficient method, rather than
>> having to add them by hand.
>

> Thanks, this makes sense though I was hoping that there would be a
> better way to accomplish this. Happen to know if there is there a way
> to transfer the 5 or so LTO-2 tapes I just added to the wrong pool?

Sure. From bconsole, run update, choose 'volume parameters', pick the
pool that has all of the tapes in it, choose the incorrectly assigned
tapes (one at a time), and update their pool.

>>> 2. I would like to use the LTO-2 drive to write to LTO-1 tapes as
>>> well, since the LTO-2 tapes are only used once a month. Is is
>>> possible to set up a device to handle more than one media type?
>>

>> A device is only tied to a particular type of media through a job. For
>> example, a job specifies which pool of tapes is used for a backup.  Only
>> media from that pool will be used, regardless of their 'type'. Bacula
>> has no concern for the physical 'type' of media, so long as it  works in
>> the drive. :)
>

> But I assume I should tie job definitions that use the LTO-2 pool to
> the LTO-2 drive? Perhaps the solutions would be to define another
> file storage device in the director for the LTO-2 drive? But would
> bacula then utilize the autochanger when spanning volumes? Currently,
> all standard LTO-1 jobs use the autochanger as their storage device.
> I really don't want bacula to try to use an LTO-2 tape in the LTO-1
> drive.

Indeed, that would definitely be a problem. At the moment, I do not
believe that bacula has the capability to use multiple drives for 1 job.
If you were to use the LTO-2 for full backups and the LTO-1 for
Inc/Diffs, you could make sure that only the LTO-2 pool was used on the
LTO-2 drive by specifying it as such in the schedule. The Job Overrides
subsection in the Schedule section of the manual goes into this in
greater detail.

> Cheers,
> Ian

Best Regards,