            * Bare-metal recovery Windows 2003 Server (PDC) *
                    Part 2/2

(copyleft) Santa Claus
temp99 [mad dog] gmail [dot] com

I apologize for my bad English. Please correct this.

This plan is tested on a real server in test conditions.

(...continue...)

* Error EventID 53258
In Event Log Application the following error from Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator contains:
Source: MSDTC
Type: Warning
Category: SVC
Event ID: 53258
Description: MS DTC could not correctly process a DC Promotion/Demotion event. MS DTC will continue to function and will use the existing security settings. Error Specifics: %1

Solution:
- Start equipment Component Services (Start - Programs - Administrative Tools).
- Open section Component Services, having pressed on "+".
- Open section Computers, having pressed on "+".
- Right cliques on My Computer, also choose Properties, tab MSDTC.
- Press button Security Configuration, in the opened window press OK.
- Further in window My Computer Properties also press OK
- You again will appear in window Component Services
- Right cliques on My Computer, also choose Stop MS DTC, this action will stop corresponding service (Distributed Transaction Coordinator).
- Again right cliques on My Computer, also choose Start MS DTC, this action will start corresponding service.
- See Event Log Application. Probably it is necessary to reload a server to be convinced, that the problem is solved.

* Error EventID 4404

Event Log Application the following error from Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator contains:
Source: MSDTC
Type: Error
Category: Tracing Infrastructure
Event ID: 4404
Description: MS DTC Tracing infrastructure: the initialization of the tracing infrastructure failed. Internal Information: msdtc_trace: File: d:\srvrtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\trace\src\tracelib.cpp, Line: 1107, StartTrace Failed, hr=0x80070070

Solution:
- Start equipment Component Services (Start - Programs - Administrative Tools).
- Open section Component Services, having pressed on "+".
- Open section Computers, having pressed on "+".
- Right cliques on My Computer, also choose Properties, tab MSDTC.
- Choose Tracing Options.
- Execute sequence of actions: Stop Session, New Session, Flush Data, OK, and more time OK.
- You again will appear in window Component Services.
- Right cliques on My Computer, also choose Stop MS DTC and дале Start MS DTC, this action will restart corresponding service (Distributed Transaction Coordinator).
- Again see Event Log Application to be convinced, that the problem is solved.

* Errors EventID 1058, 1030

In Event Log Application the interconnected errors contain:
Source: Userenv
Type: Error
Event ID: 1058
Description: Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN = {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}, CN=Policies, CN=System, DC=test, DC=net. The file must be present at the location <\\ test.net \sysvol \test.net \Policies \ {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9} \gpt.ini>. (The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.). Group Policy processing aborted.

and

Source: Userenv
Type: Error
Event ID: 1030
Description: Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

Solution: The full description of the decision contains in article Microsoft #842804 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=842804. Be convinced that:
- Services Netlogon and DFS are started.
- The Controller of the domain valid reads and applies rules from Domain Controllers Policy.
- The NTFS-rights to common resource Sysvol are established{installed} correctly.
- DNS records on server DNS are correct.
- Useful links for the decision of problems:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    http://www.eventid.net/

7. Testing a server after recovery
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Enter into system with the rights of Administrator.
Start ping for check of availability of a network.
See all system logs (Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Computer Management-> Event Viewer). At presence of error messages reload a server, if error messages repeat, before transition to 2nd to a stage all errors (especially having attribute Type = Error) is necessary for eliminating situations.
For the further testing it is necessary installed Support Tools (ST).
By means of command (from set Support Tools)

>netdom query fsmo

determine, what computer is the owner (Schema owner, Domain role owner, PDC role, RID pool manager, Infrastructure owner).

Check up availability and correctness of job of a domain name system (Domain Name System, DNS), executed Netdiag/debug command on a server. It will check up registration NetBIOS, DNS and services. If it will not help, familiarize with article Microsoft #265706, "DCDiag/NetDiag Facilitate Join and DC Creation" to the address of
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&

Enter
>dcdiag
command for check of configuration DC.

Also try to enter into system on a network with the rights of any user.

The Used literature
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/smallbusiness/prodtech/windowsserver2003/ntbackup.mspx
"Backing Up and Restoring Data for Windows Server 2003"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326216/
Article ID#326216 "How to use the backup feature to back up and restore data in Windows Server 2003"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814583/en-us
Article ID#814583 "How to use command line parameters with the Ntbackup command in Windows Server 2003"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/
"Backup Troubleshooting"

Microsoft Corp. "Windows 2000 Server Disaster Recovery Guidelines. White Paper."

Brien M. Posey,
http://searchtechtarget.techtarget.com/
"Bare metal restore via Automated System Recovery"

Good luck ;)