Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Monday 20 February 2006 23:52, Dan Langille wrote:
>
>>On 20 Feb 2006 at 22:41, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks to the kind guy who is renting me my current "vacation" hide
>>>away in sunny southern Frence and a 45 meter ethernet cable that runs
>>>across the garden to his house, I am now on a DSL connection.
>>
>>Wow!  How did you manage to get that?
>

> Yes, interesting story.  I am renting a vacation "house" for a month here in
> Juan-les-Pins.  It is a very small house that I suspect was previously a
> fishermans place since it is about 50 meters from the bay. Anyway, the owner
> lives next door in a villa (nice).

Be careful.  Running cat5/6 outside is generally considered hazardous,
though it's probably not too terrible on only a 45m run.  Differences in
ground potential can lead to damagingly high ground currents down that
cable, and nearby lightling can indiuce sizeable surges.

We were considering a similar set-up for my wife's former in-laws, 200m
away, when we lived in North Carolina, assuming we could once get a
decent connection ourselves.  However, we were going to do it with fiber
(I have a pair of 10baseT-10baseFX bridges), which is a much safer way
to do it.

--
 Phil Stracchino       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518