Hello,

A general comment: perhaps I am wrong, but it seems to me that the scheme you
are using for backups (one Volume for each day) is virtually guaranteed to
cause a catastrophe if there is a disk error.  The reason is that you have
*all* Wednesdays in a single volume. If you loose that volume, you loose
*all* Wednesdays you cannot even backup to a previous week.

You might want to take a look at the example in the manual, which is probably
not perfect, but unless I am mistaken, is much more error tolerant.

See comments below:

On Thursday 09 March 2006 09:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Dear Collegues,
>
> I use Bacula  1.36.3 with one usb hard disk which is 400 GB in large. I
> have configured Bacula in such way I have 5 archives incremented daily
> during whole year. All mondays are stored in one file -Monday, tuesdays
> - in Tuesday etc. and are incremented since 1 January. Now they are
> about 20GB each. There are also month backups, but they are made once a
> two months now (because of the amount of space taken).
>
> Yesterday I had a power failure and just after I forgot to switch on the
> drive. Because there was no drive mounted, Bacula changed VolStatus from
> "Append" to "Error".
>
> Now I have the following problem: when I try to restore files, the error
> volume is ommited, and I cannot restore none of the wednesday's backups.

Unfortunately, you have not included all the output below, so I am not sure
what option you used in the main menu.  Assuming it was option 5, Bacula
should include all Volumes that are needed regardless of their status.
However, it will not include any Job that terminated with an error status.

> When I manually set the VolStatus to "Append" I still cannot restore
> wednesdays, because size of the volume is zero.

I would be interested to know how you conclude this as to the best of my
knowledge Bacula does not explicitly check the volume size.  If the volume
size is zero, it is most likely because it has been deleted (Bacula will not
delete volumes) or it is not properly mounted, which can easily happen with
USB drives.

I recommend that you read the Restore chapter. It goes through nearly all the
points I have made and a lot more.

> Restore output with missing wednesdays:

In general, I see no problem here because Bacula will select only Volumes that
have necessary data on them.  You haven't shown any indication from the
catalog that any Job ran on Wednesday, and even if one did, as long as all
the files were backed up later, there would be no need for Wednesday's data.
If the last day you are restoring to is Tuesday, with your scheme, there would
also be no need for Wednesday's data.

In addition, I see no Volumes listed for Friday ...