> I set AlwaysOpen = yes for my devices per the Bacula documentation
> because I didn't want the drive to have to rewind and reposition
> everytime in between jobs.

Yes, that could be a problem.

> Setting AlwaysOpen = no does allow me to run the mt commands while the
> SD is running.  However, when I try to manually mount the drive in
> bconsole, I run into the same problem.  On the server console, I see the
> following:
>
> Mar 10 13:59:52 arl-fratm-bacula scsi: WARNING:
> /[EMAIL PROTECTED],2000/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0 (st23):
> Mar 10 13:59:52 arl-fratm-bacula        Error for Command: rezero/rewind
> Error Level: Fatal
> Mar 10 13:59:52 arl-fratm-bacula scsi:  Requested Block: 0
> Error Block: 0
> Mar 10 13:59:52 arl-fratm-bacula scsi:  Vendor: QUANTUM
> Serial Number:  R
> Mar 10 13:59:52 arl-fratm-bacula scsi:  Sense Key: Not Ready
> Mar 10 13:59:52 arl-fratm-bacula scsi:  ASC: 0x3a (medium not present),
> ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x0
>

> That repeats until the timeout period expires.  Is this just an
> annoyance that I have to live with?

Does the drive have a tape loaded at this point?  The error suggests it
doesn't.

With a single drive, I wouldn't expect to do mount until the tape is in the
drive.  It could be more complicated with an autochanger...unless Bacula
should be loading a tape automatically (though possibly it would be the wrong
tape).

__Martin