John Goerzen wrote:
On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:11:10PM +0000, Alan Brown wrote:
That is correct. This feature is being worked on but for now, Bacula
restores ALL files, including deleted and renamed ones.
Most backup software works this way.

Then most backup software is broken.  Perhaps Bacula can be better.

Usually that software is designed with the recovery of 'as much as
possible data' in mind, not with the 'recover the state of date X'. It
works for most people (I'd rather have too much restored than not enough).

That said, the feature is on the 'todo list' for Bacula (as Kern already
mentioned)

3) We perform backups overnight, when no operators are here, so as to
minimize performance impact on our users.  We have enough data that it
is not possible to fit a full backup of every filesystem onto a single
tape.
Can't you afford an autochanger?

Well, it hasn't been necessary since Amanda can schedule everything
nicely for us.  It's beginning to sound like if we want to use Bacula,
we'd have to do a full backup every night.  I'll have to look into it
some more, I suppose.

Again: Bacula will not try to avoid tape mounts. Apart from AMANDA, I
know of no backup system that does (and AFAIK AMANDA does it because it
can't, or at least couldn't in the past, span backups accross multiple
tapes). You can manually tell the system when to do full backups for
what, but you still risk exceeding the size of a tape (if the volume
grows too much). The only way to be 100% sure that you won't need to
manually mount a tape is to:
- - stay with AMANDA (which obviously does it very well for you)
- - throw hardware at the problem (huge tapes that you'll never manage to
fill with a single full backup, or an autochanger)

Quite simply: In a professional environment, if your full overnight
backups do not fit on a single tape then you either need an adequately
sized changer or larger tapes. Simple economic calculations will show that
staff costs will easily exceed that of adequate hardware in short order
when intervention is continuously required.

Now in your environment, though, you were not worrying about offsite
backups and also were using a single tape for a whole week.  I'm a
little confused about what you're suggesting here.

That always depends on the environment. For example, in mine I do the
backups during the day (so that somebody IS on site to change the tape
when Bacula requests it). This is bound to change (we just received our
first Autochanger, I still have to unpack and install it) and then
backups will be moved to the night (with tape moves being done
independently during the day).

At our site, our policy has been to, each morning, take the most recent
backup tapes offsite.  Offsite means a waterproof, fireproof safe
deposit box in a bank's vault.  That way, if disaster should strike, our
most recent backup would be available offsite.

In the other envirnment that I have (separate company which doesn't use
Bacula), we have that too only that our backups run on a fixed schedule
and span tapes (the bot just ejects the ones that should leave and
operators take them away to the vault and feed the bot with the ones
that come back from it). Having an autochanger and your full backups
span more than one tape does not prevent a DR setup where tapes go off-site.

Bacula itself is very much set-and-forget for most people and a setup
which requires continual operator intervention is likely poorly thought
out in the first place.

Depends: If you do off-site vaulting, you need continual operator
intervention to cycle the tapes, but that happens independantly of the
backups (ie not while they're running).

Greetings,
      Michel