Ryan Novosielski wrote:
I've noticed frequently that in my threaded e-mail view, threads are getting jammed together that have nothing to do with one another (most recently Pool Problem and Lacie Big Disk Debian compatability). Having seen this before, I have a strong feeling that the reason is that folks are replying to e-mails, erasing the content and changing it to suit their message rather than composing a fresh message. I believe that there is some information in the headers to help e-mail threading work. If you are someone who tends to do this, I just wanted to point out that it has an effect on how your e-mail is read by those who sort threaded (or delete by thread) and may affect your ability to get a response.

It's possible that I don't understand e-mail threading properly, but this is how I've seen it work from personal experience.

You do understand it properly. Each mail has a unique Message ID eg
your mail has

in its header.

If you reply to a message your client adds a In-Reply-To (and
a References) header. So mine will have

in its header. That is used by the cleint to build the threaded
view.

Thanks,

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen