Sorry - meant to reply to the list too.

Sorry - should have given more info...

iptables turned off at this point. No delays (i.e. dns)

# ./bconsole
Connecting to Director srv1:9101
1000 OK: srv1-dir Version: 1.38.5 (18 January 2006)
Enter a period to cancel a command.
*status client
Using default Catalog name=MyCatalog DB=bacula
Automatically selected Client: srv1-fd
Connecting to Client srv1-fd at srv1:9102
Failed to connect to Client srv1-fd.
====
You have messages.
*
26-Mar 16:40 srv1-dir: *Console*.2006-03-26_16.36.37 Fatal error: Unable
to authenticate with File daemon. Possible causes:
Passwords or names not the same or
Maximum Concurrent Jobs exceeded on the FD or
FD networking messed up (restart daemon).
Please see http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/faq.html#AuthorizationErrors
for help.

as for syslog and dmesg... I've cleaned up the issue of /var/bacula
where 'group' bacula wasn't given write permissions, which kept
bacula-dir from starting up and I have this message in dmesg which I
think might be harmless...

st0: MTSETDRVBUFFER only allowed for root.

since the btape tests passed.

Craig