Hello Kern, Erich and anybody else,

first sorry for my delayed answer, but I had the put the backup-problem aside, doing other stuff.

To make things clear: Bacula has been installed as Domain Administrator (there is no local Administrator on Windows Domain Controllers, so there is no chance to install it another way), and ist is running as SYSTEM. It works this way on a Win XP Professional Machine, but it doesn't on the Win2K Domain Controller. For those who don't know windows: Generally, there is a difference between Administrators on stand-alone windows machines and Domain Administrators, but of course bacula should be installable by both.

Therefore, my first question is, if somebody is out there who has a bacula client running on a Domain Controller or if this has ever been tested?

Regards
Christoph

Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

23.03.2006 13:23

bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
cc
Erich Prinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject
Re: [Bacula-users] Windows FD on Win2k Domain Controller

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 02:35, Erich Prinz wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Your comment:
> > I always get 'ERR=Access is denied' if I want to backup files which
> > can't be accessed with the user account, the backup service is
> > running with. This should normaly work using the windows backup-API.
>
> I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. The local
> service account (bacula) doesn't have permission to the files.
>
> By default, the fd install isn't going to plop itself into the Backup
> Security Group on a domain controller. Consider adding that user
> explicitly into the Backup Security Group and test again.
>
> Let everyone know if that works for you,
>
> Erich

Just a note here because there seems to be a bit of confusion. On Win32
machines, Bacula does not use or create the "bacula" account or userid.  The
client must be installed while directly logged into the machine with account
Adminstrator.  If you attempt to install it using some Windows terminal
remote login or are not logged in as Administrator (or possibly the Domain
adminstrator, or whatever Microsoft calls it), you are likely to have
problems.

When installed correctly by the system Administrator, Bacula will run under
the User name "SYSTEM" and will have access to all files on your system.  If
Bacula is not running as SYSTEM, as shown by the task manager, you have not
installed it correctly.

This is documented in the manual.

Kern

 (">