Dan Langille wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2006 at 0:32, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> is anybody running Bacula 1.38.6 (28 March 2006) under Fedora Core 5?
>> Since updating from FC4 to FC5 and from Bacula 1.38.5 to  1.38.6  (in
>> one step, probably this was not a good idea), each run of our nightly
>> backup jobs will fail like this:

I just switched to FC5 too, only I did not change my bacula version at the
same time.  The problem shows up on FC5 with 1.38.5 too.  And to answer
the question Kern raised about old mysql versions or old RPM--I installed
FC5 from scratch (i.e. I didn't upgrade, I reinstalled, wiping every
system partition), and I rebuilt the bacula RPMs from the source RPM after
I upgraded.

>> However, restarting the bacula DIR *does* solve the problem, for  one
>> day or so - I can run my backups manually, but the next scheduled run
>> will fail with the same errors.
>
> For the gone away problem does the FAQ help?
>
>    http://paramount.ind.wpi.edu/wiki/doku.php?id=faq
>
> MySQL Server Has Gone Away

I'm guessing that Dan's suggestion is right on target.  The wait_timeout
is 8 hours, I'm guessing that bacula (in my config) doesn't issue queries
that often (I do backups between 3AM-7AM), and for some reason with mysql
5 the connection gets dropped after a timeout.  I've changed my wait
timeout to 36 hours to see if the problem goes away (in /etc/my.cnf).
Perhaps someone else who understands mysql better than I can find out why
the connection didn't used to timeout (at least with mysql 4)

-se

--
-se

Steve Ellis