I'm noticing extremely heavy memory loads when running a large bacula job. The system running the fd and director processes spikes to using all but about 18mb of the 5gb of memory installed. If I sort by memory usage in Top, no processes are using anywhere near the missing memory, however the usage only spikes when I run a large backup job ~100 GB) from this machine. If I shut down bacula completely, the memory loads don't go back down

the results from free show that its not being taken up by the buffers (only about 178mb used by buffers) ,

total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 5073956 5056120 17836 0 7528 4877864
-/+ buffers/cache:     170728    4903228
Swap:      2098152        160    2097992

Things aren't getting bad enough to start swapping, however this is setting off alarms in Nagios as the % of free memory is well below the warning point, and I've had an unexplained crash or two on this server. Some memory does seem to free up as its needed (for example if I open firefox and load up several tabs) but when a job is running, things always settle back down to around 18mb free.

I am running CentOS 4.1 and the latest version of bacula-fd.

any help would be appreciated,

Aaron Zschau - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network and Systems Engineer
Z-Tech Associates - 781.863.8884 x120