On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

As mentioned before, I see the same effect when changing the  timing:
running  the  SD on a low end system (400 MHz P II) makes the problem
go away reliably - with h/w compression on.

I am more and more convinced that this is a subtel  timing  issue  in
the SCSI tape driver layer.

Or possibly a bad cable/terminator...

AB