On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 12:24, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> Robert W Hartzell wrote:

> > Is this project of interest to any one? Any thoughts or comments?
>
> Robert,
>
> Though the thread might not be one that you've been following, check out
> the "Rescue Advice for Director" thread. I was just discussing Solaris
> bare metal recovery earlier today. I'm very interested in this project.
> It seems you are using x86, but so are my client machines. My director
> is Sparc, but I don't see any reason this should be that different. What
> Solaris version are you working with here? Solaris 10u1 uses GRUB
> instead of... OpenBoot is it? I don't recall, at least on the x86 platform.
>
> I'd love to give it a shot on one of my machines. As I said in the other
> thread, I have at least 1 Solaris box due to be repurposed. I can do any
> number of destructive tests on it.

Ryan,
I found myself in a similar situation while testing restores with a client and
the whole restore process was at best a horrible experience and very time
consuming. I never got a usable restore and had to start from scratch anyways.
What I did then was to install a base install with networking and then
installed the file daemon for a full restore. The full restore wouldn't boot so
I had to start over. I think there's some files that shouldn't be overwritten
during a restore on a live system (/etc/path_to_inst) is one that gave me
problems.

I'm pretty sure I used Solaris 10-1/06 x86 which does include GRUB but fully
patched 10-03/05 also includes GRUB. I really don't know if GRUB was back
ported to Solaris 9.

I will put together my notes and send them to you tonight. What you will need
is a CD burner, the fist CD for Solaris 01/06 (to steal the miniroot) and a
static copy of the file daemon with your config files. It's fairly easy to
build the CD.

On another subject I have created packages for bacula controlled by SMF. Would
you mind installing then on one of your x86 boxes and let me know what you
think? They do require mysql thats installed in /usr/sfw/ on a full install,
but the bacula scripts take care of setting up and starting mysql. Their non
destructive and a few key strokes will remove any evidence they were ever
installed.

Robert