If you'd CC'd me on your post to the list, I'd have gotten sooner and
you'd have gotten your reply sooner too.  :)

On 24 Apr 2006 at 18:50, Scott Ruckh wrote:

> This is what you said Jason Martin
> >> over
> >> Why
> >>
> >> Run the estimate command.  Something is taking up the space.  Are you
> >> backing up to disk and also backing up the Bacula Volumes?  i.e
> >> backing up your backups.
> > Also, are you spooling and including the spool directory in the
> > backup?
> >
> > -Jason Martin
>
> You can see from my ealier post that my total used space (of the volumes
> listed in my file list) was about 25.3GB (per the output from df -h).  My
> backup volume (to disk) was already 10 times the size of the total used
> disk space before I cancelled the job.
>
> I am excluding /BACKUPS in my file list so you can see I am not
> backing up my backups.
>
> Also, I am going straight to disk so I am not spooling first.

Thanks.  None of this was obvious to us.  We're good, but we're not
*that* good.

> I think I have found the culprit, /var/log/lastlog .  It is a sparse file
> and appears to be 1.2TB, which is way larger then the total space of the
> filesystem,  In reality, this file only uses 64K of actual used disk
> space, but I am guessing bacula sees it as a 1.2TB file.

Bacula handles sparse files:

http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html

sparse=yes|no
Enable special code that checks for sparse files such as created by
ndbm. The default is no, so no checks are made for sparse files. You
may specify sparse=yes even on files that are not sparse file. No
harm will be done, but there will be a small additional overhead to
check for buffers of all zero, and a small additional amount of space
on the output archive will be used to save the seek address of each
non-zero record read.

> I am guessing I can exclude this file, but is there a more graceful way of
> handling this file.  Now that I believe I have found the trouble maker I
> will go back through the bacula archives to see if there is a solution.
> If not, has anyone else had to deal with this file?

Perhaps the above is for you.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php