On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:02:20AM +0100, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2006, Christoph Haas wrote:
> >While I used settings from the "large" my.cnf example configuration file
> >and had a slight speedup it still took longer than a few hours so I
> >interrupted.
>
> What indexes do you have?

PRIMARY KEY  (`FileId`),
KEY `PathId` (`PathId`),
KEY `FilenameId` (`FilenameId`,`PathId`),
KEY `JobId` (`JobId`)

> >Following to hints from the helpful inhabitants of #bacula on
> >irc.freenode.net I ran a "dbcheck" searching for orphaned rows. Voila, my
> >row count decreased from 21 million to 3 million. I even needed two runs
> >because dbcheck seemed to have an upper limit of 10 million entries to
> >delete. :)
>
> That won't help, but proper indexing should speed things up.

Au contraire. In this case the indexing is slowing down the import.
Importing the pure data is taking a few minutes only while creating the
indexes is taking a day.

Of course you are right that once the indexes are created the Bacula jobs
will run much faster.

Kindly
 Christoph