James Harper wrote:
Do you want to deal with it in the query (harder), or in the code that
processes the query (easier)? Are you asking what Base64 is, or do you
know already and would just like some help doing something useful with
it from within the SQL language?

My hope was to write a custom query to put in the query.sql file so I could run it from bconsole, but if I have to I guess I could script something independently to deal with the conversion.

Just in case you don't know already, the date fields in the text you
have given below are "BEU0tK BEHwQV BEHwQV", and you need to decode them
using Base64, where each letter represents 1 of 64 possible values (eg
our numbering system is Base10 and the digits are 0123456789, base64 is
the same but with all the numbers (10), all the lowercase letters (26),
all the uppercase letters (26), and another 2 characters ('+' and '/' I
think, but you'd need to check), giving you your 64 'digit'
combinations.

Thanks, I had the basic idea but that is a better explanation.

Once you have decoded these values you should have a number that
represents the number of seconds since midnight on Jan 1 1970 UTC.

The following URL is to a really cool page that allows you to convert
between all sorts of encoding methods:
http://www.paulschou.com/tools/xlate/

I've tried a number of online decoders (including the one you suggest) and none of them returns anything that makes sense when I give it a value like BEHwQV. As you say, I am expecting a big integer, but I get back nonsense or an error message. That is what made me question whether I was going about it completely wrong. At this point I am stuck on the conversion.

Thanks for your help.
Mark