On 2006-05-21, Arno Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am concerned about the unpredictability of the tape handling here,
>> alas.
>
> I can't say I experience unpredictable tape handling here, so it would
> be good do see more detailed information from you: If possible, use a
> pool with a very limited number of volumes (the three you talk about
> seems ok), collect all the tape status information before you start a

I've got three volumes in our Weekly pool and five in our Daily one.

> job (i.e. use 'list' and 'llist' commands on the pool and the volumes in
> it) and in case of unpredictable behaviour, and of course make sure your

Good idea.

> catalog is in a consistent state (i.e. don't modify the catalog database
> unless you know how to fix it :-)
>
> It is very important to keep in mind that the volume metadata is
> individual for each volume, so that, after modifying retention times,
> you have to apply these changes to the existing volumes, too. Also, the

Yup... I ran the update volumes command that updates all volumes from
the pool defaults.

> retention period begins after the last write to a volume, so for example
> your backup job takes 3.5 hours, 21 hours of retention are too long to
> ensure availability after 24 hours.

Right...  but I'm not speaking of setting retention to 21h, but volume
use duration to 21h -- that is, 21 hours after the first write, Bacula
will no longer consider writing to it.

Thanks for the reply, Arno.  I'll see what happens tonight and let
everyone know.

-- John