On Wednesday 28 June 2006 05:02, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Searching for a new distro is not so easy. Kubuntu treats users as idiots by
> disabling the root account and giving full sudo privilege to the main user.

Well, I suppose...but I've found it quite easy to adapt.  I suppose you could
say it is more "Mac-ish," in that you have admin accounts that can do priv'ed
operations, but really, it is the way sudo was designed.  And you can always
do "sudo bash" :)  Trust me, I do that quite often.

> Ubuntu won't boot on a relatively modern (1.5 years old) machine.

Well, in the classic "works for me, YMMV" tradition, I have to say I've been
thrilled with Kubuntu.  It's installed on a few-month-old Acer AMD Sempron
system on my desktop, and has been rock solid.  I think I've only had to kill
X once, and never have I had a hard freeze.  Running with an nVidia 6600
video card, and a Via chipset motherboard.  I'm sorry to hear you've had
trouble.  What kind of errors does it throw?  Or does it even get far enough
to throw the errors?

> Debian is
> great on stability and security updates, but has really old software.  If
> you  use Debian testing, you get good stability and recent software but
> "currently" (they are in the process of changing) no security updates.

Agreed...It'll be great when they start doing security updates for testing.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111