On 9 Jul 2006, at 7:12 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 12:39:55 +0300

From: "Timo Neuvonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Director won't run as user bacula

To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net

I've just finished upgrading our backup server from bacula 1.36.3 to

1.38.11, running on Fedora 4, using the binary rpms. The storage and

file daemons start up fine, but the director silently dies. What

little testing I could do showed that it won't run as user bacula (as

set in bacula-ctl-dir) but runs quite happily as root. The storage

daemon is running as user bacula and group disk without an issue.

I've no idea how to begin to investigate this any further. Does

anyone have any suggestions?

Check the ownership of /var/bacula, and the old files therein.

If the other daemons start nicely, my best guess is that the director could

write into that directory, but maybe there already exists some old (log /

status like) files owned by root and the director cannot now rewrite /

append to them.

--

TiN

Brilliant, that did it.

On a related note, we're using Bacula to backup to disk rather than tape. The owner & group also had to be changed on those directories & files before the storage daemon could write to them. All is working fine, now.

Thanks very much,
Michael Carey.
Michael Carey                                Information Systems Administrator
Phone: (03) 479 5882                                   ITS Teaching Facilities
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              University of Otago, NZ