On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:

> Hello,
> I have some bacula installations on SunFire 280R Sparc machines, with Solaris
> 10.
> These machines apperar to be very very slow with respect to other
> installations (such as v20z) with same LTO2 device.
> As you can see from the report, 60Gb are copied in 9 hours, with an avarage
> rate of
> 1898.9 KB/s
> !
> On a v20z, the same amount of data is done in 5 hours or less, with
> an avarage
> a rate of
> 3139.2 KB/s.

Both of these rates are _very_ slow.

I benchmarked my LTO2 drives at 27-28MB/s last week using btape.

Marketing claims are for 60MB/s on 2:1 compressible data, but I believe
btape's fill algorithm produces non-compressable.

Even when spooling to disk and then dumping to tape, I still see rates of
around 10-12Mb/s.

Making up for that halving of speed, I am able to run concurrent backups,
so the tape drives are more-or-less spinning all the time as various
drives dump spooled data.

AB