I recently configured several remote servers to back up to a central
bacula server. They are backing up to a spool file and then spooling to
tape. I set the spool file size at approximately 4GB. Is there an
optimal size, or should I just set it to auto and let it spool as much
as it wants? (the drive it is spooling to has approximately 170GB of space).

Everything is working very nicely, and when I do full backups, I average
approximately 10MB/s on a 20-90GB backup job (depending on which server).

bacula 1.38
Fedora Core 3
AMD 64
2GB RAM