On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there a way to manually execute the algorithm that bacula uses to request a
> tape for recycling, in order to predict which tapes will be recycled next?

I wish.

I had 20 purged tapes (out of 40 recent purges) loaded in the autochanger
last night and Bacula insisted on recycling one which wasn't in the unit,
then demanded it be installed in order to continue.

Having said that.....

If you have purged tapes, toggling them to "recycle" will ensure they are
used. This is how I got it to continue operating without having to
manually load a tape at 11pm.

> In other words, if the autochanger could hold every tape we own (InChanger = 1
> for every tape), which "N" tapes would bacula use next, based on the recycle
> algorithm?

Of purged tapes, usually least recently written ones.

The hard part is that having loaded such a batch of tapes into a changer,
subsequent purge cycles may result in "older" tapes entering the
eligibility pool which aren't in the changer.

Toggling a tape's status to recycle doesn't lose its data - that only
happens when it is finally relabelled.

AB