On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Dirk Kleinhesselink wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Alan Brown wrote:
>
> Well, there is NO such thing as an LTO-4 drive.

Yet....

It's in the LTO development roadmap.

>  They are both LTO-3 drives.
> I'm not sure that media type declaration does anything specific for a "real"
> media type, at least not in this case.  I'm guessing it's just used as a name
> or label.

Correct, it is.

I have a situation where we are about to add LTO3 drives to our changer,
which currently has LTO2 drives and media onboard.

For obvious reasons I want to be able to use the LTO2 tapes in the LTO3
drives, but I also have to prevent any attempts to load LTO3 tapes into
the LTO2 drives.

This is somewhat different to mixing completely incompatible media
types/drives in the changer.

Kern, what are your thoughts?