> Now the 'update slots' command does not recognize the
> number of slots in my autochanger [1] anymore.

Check the permissions for your changer device (/dev/sg5).
Does storage daemon have rightsto access it? If SD is running as bacula:disk
as I expect, sg5 should have group disk with group privileges rw-. I think
FC4 used to set this to something more restricted by default. And in 1.38.0
SD propably was running as root by default, so that would explain the
problem.

If this is the problem make sure the permissions retain the correct values
after reboot: you'll propably need to modify something in /etc/udev, since
results of chmod / chown will be "overwritten" during the next boot.

--
TiN