On Aug 11, 2006, at 13:24, Mike wrote:

I have a possible situation at work where one user (I'll not
go into the details) needs to have all files from that
workstation encrypted before they get on the network and on
tape. Has there been a discussion, plan, or option I've overlooked
such that the bacula-fd.conf can contain a passphrase for
each file and when the files are read for sending to the
director and sd the files are encrypted and when files are
sent from the sd they are decrypted.

What I'm thinking is the fd is the gateway to everything
else in bacula and that when a file goes out through the fd
the file is encrypted and when the file comes in through fd to
the workstation fd decrypts the file. The user on the workstation
always sees unencrypted files, regular data as if nothing
is different. Anybody sniffing on the network or finding
a random tape is able to see the files, but since the files
are encrypted the files and tape and anything on the network
is useless.

If not discussed previously I'd like to see a parameter
for what encryption program to use (pgp, gpg, enigma, etc)
and a parameter for either a pass phrase, chat script,
or something similiar to be given. Maybe the program needs
two parameters, one for encryption and one for decryption.

This functionality is available in the 1.39 betas; I have some documentation on my web site: http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/code/bacula/ Configuring_Bacula_Encryption.20060305184424.26351.sandbox.html

The encryption is implemented in Bacula, using OpenSSL. Instead of simple symmetric encryption, asymmetric encryption is used to encrypt the session keys. This allows you to maintain a master keypair for said user's encrypted data, and retain the ability to restore their data should their encryption keypair be lost.

There is still one major gotcha, namely, it's possible for the director to restore new keys or a bacula configuration file to the client, and thus force later backups to be made with a compromised key and/or with no encryption at all. There has been some discussion on the list regarding solutions to this problem, including limiting where the director can send a restoration job on the file daemon.

-landonf