I'm setting up a system where one pool  is used for certain backups
for odd months (jan, mar, may etc) and another pool for even monthts
(feb, apr, jun etc).

So, a pool that is used during January, should be used again starting
from the beginning of March, etc. Pool may be as small as only 1
volume, but may also have a few volumes.

Now, I'm wondering in which way I should setup the retention periods
& other related options, since I'd like to keep all database records
of that pool in the catalog as long as possible, in the example
mentioned above until the end of February.

Obviously, the shortest time when a volume may need to be recycled is
February, since it may be written on January 31st, and it needs to be
recycleable on March 1st. This leads into volume retention period of
28 days.

The volume retention period of 28 days would mean that first records
for January would be pruned from the catalog already before the end of
January, at least if I use auto-prune.
Not really what I wanted :-(

There exists "Purge Oldest Volume" directive, but using it looks for
me very much like an unstable time bomb. So, I don't find it as a real
solution.

If I set volume retention period for this pool to 28 days (and have
much longer file/job retention), and set AutoPrune=no for this pool,
does it mean that no database entries for this pool will be pruned
starting the 29th day, although client-spesific file/job auto-pruning
were enabled?
And further, although the database entries have already expired, can
they still be used for restoring data from that pool as long as the
records will not be pruned?

If the idea above works, does the conf below then properly prune all
expired records for just this pool only on the 1st day of every odd
month, and allow proper automatic recycling of the tapes?
So it shouldn't touch the other pools yet, although they may also have
expired database records!

Client {
  Name = "tester"
# for other jobs,
# this should auto-prune only files/jobs that have expired (90/180),
# but not yet files/jobs after 29th day although written to volumes
# with volume retention set to 28 days???
  File Retention = 90 days
  Job Retention = 180 days
  AutoPrune = yes    # no volume auto-prune???
# <other client directives here>
  }

Job {
  Name = "Prune"
  Type = Admin
  Schedule = "PruneSchedule"
  PruneVolumes = yes    # prunes only the volume given in schedule???
  }

Schedule {
  Name = "PruneSchedule"
  Run = Pool="Month-135" jan mar may jul sep nov 1 at 00:10
# Run = Pool="Month-246" feb apr jun aug oct dec 1 at 00:10
  }

Pool {
  Name = "Month-135"
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes   # will be recycled only after prune job is run???
  Volume Retention = 28 days
  AutoPrune = no   # records should remain available until prune job
  Volume Use Duration = 32 days
  Accept Any Volume = yes
}

Thank you for your patience :-)
I'm sorry to ask this kind of complicated question, but any extra
"trial and error" will be very time-consuming while testing settings
like this.

Regards,
Timo