Ralf Gross said:

> we will extend our main fileserver with an external RAID array with
> ~4TB of disk space. Additionally we'll purchase an 24 slot Lib with
> one LTO3  drive. The backup and the file server will be connected by
> GigabitEthernet.
>
> I've an spare DL380G2 server with 1Ghz, 1.5GB of memory and some
> internal disks running in RAID1. Will this hardware be sufficient to
> achieve the full LTO3 speed (or at least the max. RAID disk speed)?
> I've not much experience with bacula/database performance, thus I've
> no idea if the cpu will be fast enough for this.
>
> If this is not powerfull enough, which hardware combination would
> reasonable? What backup rates do other people get?
>
> At the moment bacula is running on an [EMAIL PROTECTED] with 192MB, backing
> up 300GB of data ;)

Ok, I decided to build a new system. At the momenten I'm thinking about a
server with space for 12 SATA drives and a 3Ware 9550SX SATA RAID
controller with 12 ports. The controller should be fast enought (380MB/sec
RAID 5 writes) and is able to manage multiple logical RAID units. I need
6-8 of these ports for a RAID 5 to mirror the disks of the main server
with drbd over GE (shouldn't be much traffic during the night when bacula
runs).

What about the RAID layout for bacula? What would be a good way to go with
4 SATA disks?

2x 80GB RAID1 for system + database? Separate db disk(s)?
2x 200GB RAID0 for spooling?

I read in the archives that disk io is the bottlenck in most setups. Thus
I'm a bit concerned about the right disk/RAID setup to get decent speed
with the LTO3 tape drive.

Ralf