Hello,

On 8/29/2006 6:10 PM, Dave wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>     Thanks for your reply. Below is the schedule:
>
> schedule {
> name = "ZeusCycle"
> run = full 1st sun at 1:05
> run = incremental mon-sat at 1:05
> }
>
> Basically my goal is to have automated disk management. I want a full backup
> done once a month, incrementals all other times, and to keep two months
> worth of backups in my storage area.

Ok, then you should set the retention periods to more than two months,
and allow three volumes (assuming you use one per month).

Not only to fix the problems arising from a (too) tight schedule of
pruning and needing new volumes, but also to make sure you actually do
have two valid backup sets.

Concerning the retention problem, consider this simplified scenario:
A volume may be recycled after one month (30 days). It is written on the
first Sunday of month 1, being the sixth day in that month. Just what we
have this August :-)

That volume is valid until 6th August plus 30 days, which is September 5
if I calculated correctly. The first Sunday in September, though, is the
third day in that month.

The result is that this volume is not due for recycling when your job runs.

Adding more months in-between and setting multiple months retention time
can even make this discrepancy worse.

By the way, another approach would be to use a retention time of, say,
27 days.

And all this, of course, provided I've got my date-calculating right...

Arno