Hello,

On 8/29/2006 9:31 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In anticipation of the holiday weekend (US & Canadian Labo[u]r Day) coming
> up,
> I've got a question about how Bacula will handle recycled volumes.
>
> Our configuration has two pools: Full and Incremental. As it happens, most of
> our tapes are currently in the "Incremental" pool[1]. If Bacula needs more
> volumes for the Full pool, and the autochanger is loaded with volumes from the
> Incremental pool that are past their retention period (they are eligible for
> purging and recycling), will Bacula automatically recycle those "Incremental"
> volumes into the "Full" pool?

No. But read on...

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>

> [1] incremental and differential backups are run nightly, writing to the
> "Incremental" pool. Full backups are done monthly. This configuration is less
> than a month old, so most clients haven't done a full backup to the "Full"
> pool
> yet. However, when they each did their first incremental, Bacula noted that
> there was no preceeding full backup, and ran a full backup, writing to tapes
> in
> the "Incremental" pool.

It's too late now now to change this, but with a setup like this it's
better to run inital backups manually...

A Scratch pool should manage what you need(ed)...

> Thus, there are many more tape volumes in the
> "Incremental" pool. This will change quickly, as those volumes expire
> ....assuming that Bacula is smart enough to determine that a client has a
> full
> backup in the Full pool, and uses that as the baseline for future incremental
> backups written to a different pool.

Bacula is smart enough to track job data on different pools. The typical
setups I create all use a Full pool and one or more pools for
differential and incremental backups.

> Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect, and if Incremental and
> Differential backups can only be made against a Full that's stored in the
> same
> pool (in which case, I need to radically change my volume retention).

No need for that - I'd even say that one of the main reasons for pools
with different retention times is the ability to recycle incremental /
differential job volumes sooner than full backup volumes.

Arno

> ----
> Mark Bergman                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> System Administrator
> Section of Biomedical Image Analysis             215-662-7310
> Department of Radiology,           University of Pennsylvania
>
> http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?search=mark.bergman%40.uphs.upenn.edu
>

> The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the
> personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader
> of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
> delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
> have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
> distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail,
> and delete the original message.

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]