Howdy,

I am running bacula-dir version 1.38.11 (28 June 2006) on FreeBSD
6.1-RELEASE.  I am fairly new to Bacula, and have just configured two Unix
machines and one Windows XP machine with bacula-fd.  Backups have been
running consistently for several weeks now without issue to a USB2.0
attached 400GB external drive.  I am truly amazed to see what is now a
200GB single file on this disk, but all seems well.

Yesterday I had to blow away the disk on the Windows box temporarily, and
thought this would be a perfect time to test the restore.  I had
temporarily installed FreeBSD on this disk to perform a few tasks, and
now wanted my windows box back.  First I installed XP again.  I haven't
investigated the use of the "bare metal recovery" tools, but decided I
might get around the problem of open files and registry by removing the
drive, attaching it to a USB2.0/IDE interface, and mounting the disk on
another windows box.  I installed the bacula-fs client on this machine and
let it pretend to be the old box on its old IP.  Then I started the
restore.  Now I have a few questions.

1) The disk is now mounted as "E:\" on the windows box.  When the default
recovery options popped up, I changed the restore destination to "E:/".
Sadly, instead of writing from root, it created a "C" directory in E:\,
and started the restore in there.  Can this be overridden in some way?

2) The relevant backup jobs were close to the middle of the 200GB file on
my backup volume, and it took literally three hours to seek to the right
place before it started the restore.  Surely this isn't right.  Can't it
jump right to the correct block in this file and start restoring?

Sorry if these questions are not unique.  I searched the bacula site for a
wiki or some kind of search of the users mailing list, but came up empty.
I could easily have missed it, and if someone would point me to any kind
of forum that I could search for my own answers that would be greatly
appreciated.

I promise to read:

http://www.bacula.org/dev-manual/Disast_Recove_Using_Bacula.html

before attempting this again!  I just want to get my windows box back :(

Cheers!

Jeff LaCoursiere
Network Consultant
Southland Gaming Virgin Islands