On Friday 15 September 2006 18:07, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I've been given a tape that has some data saved by bacula i believe the
> version was 1.38.4 or so. There is no .bsr file and no catalog, i have a
> tape and that's it, it has two jobs on it. He wants me to try to recover
> the files in the second job, i'm not sure if it's possible to do without a
> .bsr or catalog file. What i'd like to do if it's doable is recover his
> second job first, make a .bsr and a catalog and then do the first job the
> same way and give him his tape, data, two .bsr's and two catalogs, so he
> won't have to do this again. As a side note i have no idea how he lost his
> .bsr files and the catalog was not in use when these backups were taken.
> I'd appreciate any assistance.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Dave,

Since no one else has jumped in, I'll take a stab at this although I'm nowhere
near as knowledgeable or experienced as others on this list.

First, you don't mention if you have bacula installed. If you do, then you
should be able to run bscan
(http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Volume_Utility_Tools.html#19205) to scan
the tape & update your catalogue with the volume information, i.e., volume
label, job information, files, etc. Once you have scanned it in, then you
should be able to run a regular restore job to extract the files that you
need from the tape.

If you do not have an available bacula instillation to work with, then you
should be able to obtain a copy of bextract to extract
(http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Volume_Utility_Tools.html#19140) what you
need. (I'm not sure, but it looks as if you would have to download the entire
application in order to get bextract.)

HTH!

cmr

--
Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----