> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 17:53, Bill Moran wrote:

[snip]

> > This is new to me.  And not intuitive IMHO.  Most programs interpret a HUP
> > to mean "restart gracefully".  I got the impression that it would be about
> > the same as issuing "reload" from bconsole.  Most daemons require a HUP
> > signal to tell them to close and reopen their log files.  I seem to
> > remember reading a HOWTO that suggested hupping the director after
> > log rotation, but I can't find it now -- perhaps my memory is flawed.
>
> Yes, you are right, I was confusing a SIGHUP with a SIGTERM.
>
> SIGHUPing Bacula is never a very good idea. Depending on what version of
> Bacula it is, it will most likely crash.  If I am not mistaken, so far there
> are no reported crashes against version 1.38.11.

Well, that still tells me what to do to make the the problem go away, although
you can consider this a report of lockup when sending the director a HUP ;)

[snip]

> > Personally, I find the director's handling of HUP atypical by comparison
> > to other Unix daemons.  From the docs, it's not clear whether the
> > director requires a signal to tell it to start logging to a new file,
> > I'm assuming (since HUP is a bad idea) that it does not?
>
> If you are talking about cycling a Job report log file as defined in the
> Messages resource, then there is probably no need to SIGHUP Bacula as it
> opens and closes the log file on a Job by Job basis, if I am not mistaken.

That's what I meant.  Although I'm still a bit concerned.  What happens if the
log file is rotated while a job is in progress?  Will bacula attempt to append
to the end of (the now compressed) previously opened file descriptor?  Or will
it reconnect to the new file with the correct filename.

Job reports split between two log files is an annoyance, but not terrible.
Corruption of old log data would be worse.

[snip]

> Yes, even if I did mistake SIGHUP and SIGTERM, it is not a good idea to
> SIGHUP
> Bacula.

I've adjusted the newsyslog config.  Thanks for the feedback, as always.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.