On 2006-09-20 15:44, Bill Moran wrote:

>> Frank Sweetser wrote:

>>> The best place to find that is in the documentation for your database.  That
>>> way you can make sure you're getting accurate information, as opposed to
>>> something for a previous version or the like.
>> Amazing, my dbcheck at home was searching for orphaned Filename records
>> the whole day, and I finaly did  mysaladmin kill on the query.
>>
>> Then I did:
>>
>> mysql bacula
>>
>> create index Job_FilesetId_idx on Job(FileSetId);
>> create index Job_ClientId_idx on Job(ClientId);
>
> I find it hard to believe that these indexes help much, unless you've got
> a boatload of jobs in the system.  I doubt they'll hurt anything,
> though.
>
>> create index File_PathId_idx on File(PathId);
>> create index File_FilenameId_idx on File(FilenameId);
>
> One of these two is redundant.  There's already an index:
> "file_fp_idx" btree (filenameid, pathid) CLUSTER
> which should be usable by queries searching on filenameid (this is
> PostgreSQL, but the idea is the same)  Creating another index on
> filenameid is just bloat and will slow down inserts.
>
> Personally, I don't recommend that anyone blindly create these
> indexes.  As you mentioned, it took over 30 minutes to create them,
> which seems to indicate that their existence will have a negative
> impact on inserts and updates.
>
> In my case, none of these indexes made a significant improvement to
> dbcheck time.  dbcheck took 5-1/2 minutes to run with and without the
> above indexes (I have about 9,000,000 rows in the file table and
> 500,000 in the filename table).
>
> Try them out ... if they make a significant improvement, use them.

Well, I admit, I don't know what I'm doing in this case,
but ,,, the search query _did_ take forever,
and I canceled it at the end.
With new indexes it goes fast, so something did happen.

I was checking the script http://www.aha.com/bacula/recover.pl
There I found:
"In order for this program to have a chance of not being painfully slow,
the following indexs should be added to your database.
CREATE INDEX file_pathid_idx on file(pathid);
CREATE INDEX file_filenameid_idx on file(filenameid); "

I took that as an example, and added them, and the 2 Job indexes as a test,
there is always a drop index on table command to remove them if it don't works.

I should enjoy if someone that really knows how to tune mysql could
send an output from  "show index from File" , so I can optimize the table
(that goes for the table Job too I guess )

File   0 PRIMARY              1  FileId      4541609 BTREE
File   1 JobId                1  JobId           576 BTREE
File   1 JobId                2  PathId       378467 BTREE
File   1 JobId                3  FilenameId  4541609 BTREE
File   1 JobId_2              1  JobId           576 BTREE
File   1 File_PathId_idx      1  PathId       105618 BTREE
File   1 File_FilenameId_idx  1  FilenameId   504623 BTREE

Maybe I can drop something here, who knows ?

One source for information can be the make_mysql_tables script

CREATE TABLE File (
    PRIMARY KEY(FileId),
    INDEX (JobId),
    INDEX (JobId, PathId, FilenameId)
    );

#
# Possibly add one or more of the following indexes
#  to the above File table if your Verifies are
#  too slow.
#
#  INDEX (PathId),
#  INDEX (FilenameId),