On Sep 4, 2006, at 11:35, Lech Karol Pawłaszek wrote:

Hello bacula users!

I wonder if any of you have tried to encrypt your data (on a client- side) using a symmetric algorithm (like AES). I know that -beta can perform signing and encrypting data using asymmetric RSA keys, but AFAIK it's much more time expensive way to encrypt data. And encrypting 300 MiB files takes time... ;-)

The best solution for me would be to have a symmetric key used to encrypt data on a client which would be (the symmetric key) encrypted w/ asymmetric RSA
keys... but - first things first.

For what it's worth, what you just described is exactly what the encryption code does.
At each backup, the file daemon:
1) Generates a session key
2) Encrypts that session key via PKE for all recipients (the file daemon, any master keys)
3) Use that session key to perform symmetric encryption on the data.

This is standard for asymmetric encryption systems.

-landonf