On Friday 29 September 2006 23:19, Michael Brennen wrote:

> I just logged into Bacula from a client machine that has tighly restricted
> access.  It can only access its own pools, jobs, etc.
>
> When I logged in with wx-console I was surprised by a sudden flood of queued
> console messages for all jobs from last night.  Those messages of course
give
> quite a bit of detail that I do not want to be seen by the typical client.
>
> Offhand I don't see a good way in the Console resource to restrict message
> access.  Is the best option for the moment simply to disable console message
> support and depend on email and the logs?

Good question.  Please try it and let me know if it works as you expect.

The whole console interface needs to be redesigned.  The current design
handles only one console -- if you connect two at a time, I imagine who gets
the console messages generated by jobs is most the first one that happens to
be active at that instant, so any new messages probably will be more or less
randomly distributed between the two consoles.  Not too cool, but since no
one has complained yet, I haven't looked at it :-)

I suppose that at a minimum I wonder if it would be possible to hack the
interface so that console messages never get sent to any restricted console.

By the way, the current CVS has ACLs covering all the various restore options.
However, someone complained that status output showed all jobs -- yes, that
is correct, and if one doesn't want one's users to see everything that is in
a status output, disable the status command, since I don't feel it is worth
the effort to try to add finer grain ACL to the status output.