Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Well, I probably didn't explicitly state it in my email, but yes, this is a
> project I would like to do, but I certainly don't mean to discourage any
> other GUI.  In fact, part of the goal is to create a new Bacula API that this
> GUI will use.  The API should be usable by everyone (Python, Perl, PHP, Java,
> Ruby, C, C++, ...). However, I cannot write an API unless I have a real
> application to use it.
> The problem is that so far, there the gconsole is not being developed and no
> longer works correctly in restore mode because the GTK implementors know
> nothing about upward portability, wx-console is not being enhanced because
> its author is studying very hard at University, the pygtk-console doesn't
> look too bad, but author doesn't have the time to work on it (I'm not
> complaining as these things take an enormous amount of time, and everyone
> must earn a living). I have waited but no complete solution or anything else
> has come along yet to replace any of them.

I agree that an API should be written to make GUI programming a lot less
painful, in my case I realized that most of my problems building
pygtk-console came from the fact that the software have to "chat" with
the director like a human being, parsing director's answers, manage a
command queue, etc. something cleaner will be a lot nicer.

I'm looking forward to continue developing pygtk-console, if you don't
mind I would like to remain this as part of the project. In the meantime
I'll write some fixes to it that solve my particular problems. On the
API side, I cannot help you with the official Bacula C++/Qt GUI as I
don't know C++ neither Qt, but I can help on the API design testing
things from Python, if you see is necessary.

Lucas Di Pentima - Santa Fe, Argentina - Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LUNIX S.R.L. - Soluciones en GNU/Linux - http://www.lunix.com.ar
GnuPG Public Key:
http://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6AA54FC9
Key fingerprint = BD3B 08C4 661A 8C3B 1855  740C 8F98 3FCF 6AA5 4FC9