James Ray wrote:
>>> The problem with my tcpdump is it looks only for traffic on 9101,
>>> which would be incoming connections to the DIR.  I was not looking
>>> for outgoing connections from the DIR.
>>>

>>> Yes, the DIR is initiating outgoing connections on an IP address not
>>> specified in the Director resource of the bacula-dir.conf
>>> configuration file.
>>>

>> Which is normal behavior. The port and address(es) that the server
>> listens on has nothing to do with the port and address a client socket
>> is bound to when making a client connection to a server. Those are
>> normally assigned by kernel routing. As James Harper mentioned
>> previously, the routing table is where this sort of routing assignment
>> should be made. His post shows clearly how to assign a preferred source
>> address to a particular route.
>>

> I don't really see this as a 'routing' decision though. Lets take
> proftpd as an example here.
>
> Now I connect to proftpd that is running on a system with virtual
> interfaces, proftpd's listening port is bound to one interface which is
> a virtual one...
>
> Now I have passive mode turned on and I do an 'ls' command, at which
> point the FTP server opens a connection to my client _from the virtual
> interfaces IP address_.
>
> This just wouldn't work at all if I go a connection coming from the
> machines physical 'default' IP address.
>
> All I want is for when I connect to a client from the director that it
> uses a defined IP address rather than me Source NATing or doing other
> evil routing things.
>
> I don't want to always talk to these machines from the virtual interface
> either so the routing tricks aren't really feasible. I want all my
> normal communications (sshing outwards, blah blah blah) to come from the
> 'default' IP address, but I want bacula to come from its service IP
> address which isn't the default one.

I find that this kind of stuff is much more easily handled if you keep
your service networks split out by subnet and/or set your netmask as
sufficiently restrictive. The OS will then choose the proper interface
to use based on where the traffic is headed (ie. a Bacula service
network, etc.). Kinda sticky when you get down to it, and if you aren't
using sufficiently small address ranges you can run out of addresses,
but a lot of this stuff can be done on private networks anyway and
eliminate the need for you to use addresses from your IANA block.

- --