On Monday 09 October 2006 21:29, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 10/9/2006 12:00 PM, Benjamin Zeller wrote:
> > On Monday 09 October 2006 11:46, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> >>Hi,

> >>how to add second storage device, disk based, to an existing setup and
> >>move volumes around...

> >>Not exactly step-by-step (but I could guide you through the process,
> >>provided A) you pay me :-) and B) I can get remote access to your Bacula
> >>/ catalog server)...
> >
> > Hi Arno,
> >
> >>Rough outline:
> >>Attach the second drive, partition, mkfs etc., so you have the storage
> >>area ready.
> >>Create the second storage device.
> >>Modify your pools. Make sure they have a different Media Type.
> >>Set up the jobs to use the pools as required (I like the new way of
> >>assigning a storage to a pool, YMMV).
> >>Move the volumes that should be assigned to the new pool to the new
> >>directory.
> >>Change the volume parameters so that, for each volume, the Media Type
> >>and the Pool correspond to the actual layout.
> >
> > That's where I still have some questions. Some days ago you wrote
> > something about updating DB. What I don't know (yet) is: in which tables
> > do I need to do an update and on which fields?
>
> You need to update the Pool association and the Media Type so the
> existing volumes fit to your modified setup. The pool association can be
> changed using the 'update volume' command in bconsole. The Media Type,
> as far as I know, can only be changed by accessing the catalog database
> directly.

Ah, okay, I'll try to figure this out when I'm on customers site again and the
new HDD was setup. "update volume" sounds good, I guess that I'll manage to
find out the usage.

> So, for example, you do something like 'UPDATE Media SET
> MediaType="FileNoMedia" WHERE VolumeName="Whatever";' with your catalog
> database frontend - which might even be bconsoles 'sqlquery' command.

OK, I'll take a look with phpmyadmin, how situation shows up and then try to
update and restore.

> Obviously you'd only do this if you know what you do and have a current
> catalog database backup...

Well, that is why I was asking, to get knowledge on what I'm doing, I guess
I'm on a good path :-)
Backup of catalog DB is to be taken for granted. I'll do another one right
before I'll start to "mess around", a SQL dump shouldn't be too difficult ;-)

> >>Do test restores from both pools.
> >>Fix any remaining errors ;-)
> >
> > I'll do ;-) Thanks a lot.
>
> Hope this helps you get it done...

Looks like that very much, thanks a lot again mate.

> Arno

Benni

> >>Arno
> >
> > Benni

> > your opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn
> > cash

Benjamin Zeller
Ing.-Büro Hohmann
Bahnhofstr. 34