I am using softlinks for devices with bacula 1.36.3 and they work
perfecly. I keep a storage device for each client (or family of clients)
on a 4.5 Tb system and in / there is a directory with soft links to the
various storage devices, so I can change their physical location without
stopping or reloading bacula.

Ferdinando Pasqualetti
G.T.Dati srl
Tel. 0557310862 - 3356172731 - Fax 055720143

Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Inviato da: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
10/10/2006 17.10

Per
bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
CC

Oggetto
Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and Softlinks

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 16:12, Janco van der Merwe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before wasting valuable time in testing can someone tell me how Bacula
> will react with softlinks? Is it worth going that route? To give you an
idea on the
> one server it has 3 partitions and the aim is to backup the last 3
months of data
> but the twist is that the directories and partitions of where the data
is will change
> from month to month. What we thought is creating a backup dir on the /
partition
> and then a script that creates softlinks to the required directories
within the /backup
> dir which brings me to the above question will Bacula follow the
softlinks?

If you are soft linking Volume names, yes, which probably means fixed
Volume names pre-labeled.  If you are trying to soft link directories
(i.e. disk "Archive device"), I'm not sure.   I use this technique to have
Bacula disk
backup where the total data of all the Volumes is larger than a single
hard disk.

Example:
In directory /files/havana an "ls -l"
total 76652132
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Diff-0001 ->
/files1/havana/Diff-0001
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     215321044 Aug 27 01:10 Diff-0002
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Diff-0003 ->
/files1/havana/Diff-0003
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     262084337 Sep 17 01:10 Diff-0004
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Diff-0005 ->
/files1/havana/Diff-0005
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     139985294 Sep 10 01:06 Diff-0006
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Diff-0007 ->
/files1/havana/Diff-0007
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     72443800 Oct  8 01:07 Diff-0008
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Diff-0009 ->
/files1/havana/Diff-0009
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     3556777231 Jul 23 01:11 Diff-0010
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Full-0001 ->
/files1/havana/Full-0001
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     9550073756 Aug  6 02:31 Full-0002
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Full-0003 ->
/files1/havana/Full-0003
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     9717336948 Sep  3 02:33 Full-0004
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Full-0005 ->
/files1/havana/Full-0005
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     28482069327 May  7 01:56 Full-0006
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 20  2004 Full-0007 ->
/files1/havana/Full-0007
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     21896443859 Jul  2 01:45 Full-0008
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Jul 20  2004 Inc-0001 ->
/files1/havana/Inc-0001
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     234899641 Sep 26 01:06 Inc-0002
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Jul 20  2004 Inc-0003 ->
/files1/havana/Inc-0003
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     2988337776 Sep  5 01:06 Inc-0004
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     234663813 Sep 19 01:05 Inc-0005
-rw-r-----    1 root     root     1064598374 Oct 10 01:06 Inc-0006

Note, /files1/havana is a different hard disk.  Bacula only knows about
/files/havana.  From SD conf file:

Device {
  Name = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /files/havana
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}

Interesting.  You can see the date when I added the second harddisk, and
Bacula has just continued backing up and recycling ever since with no
manual intervention other than me doing 1 or 2 upgrades.

Regards,

Kern

> Janco v.d Merwe
> Network Administrator
> Dunns Stores (PTY) Ltd
> Switchboard: 011 541 3000
> Direct: 011 541 3007
> Fax: 086 632 1708

> This communication and any attachments are confidential and intended for
the sole use of the
> intended recipient.  Any form of copying or disclosure of this
communication to any third parties
> without permission is prohibited.  The contents of this communication
and its attachments are
> not intended to be relied upon in law without subsequent written
confirmation.  As such, Dunns
> Stores (Pty) Ltd accept no responsibility or liability (including
negligence) for the consequences