 >> > - A switch (mostly 3Com switches in my experience) that run in
 >> > half-duplex
 >> > mode, which slows network traffic down by about a factor of 10.
 >>
 >> Cisco does this just as often, if not more often. A little surprising to
 >> find that the top 2 can't seem to compete on the same level as a D-Link
 >> switch from Radio Shack. ;)

 BM> If you read Cisco's docs, they make the claim that these problems are
 BM> per-spec.

 BM> My understanding of the argument is that if you manually set the speed
 BM> and duplex, you have disabled auto-negotiation.  If the other end
 BM> tries to auto-negotiate, it will be able to detect the speed, just by
 BM> dumb luck of how the protocol works, but it will _consistently_ mis-
 BM> detect the duplex, again because of dumb luck of the protocol

 BM> Their argument seems to be that this behaviour is per the specs.  If
 BM> a D-Link does it differently, then D-Link is doing it "wrong", even if
 BM> it's doing it more intuitively.

 BM> If Cisco is correct, then it would seem as if the spec were written
 BM> poorly.

This is a bit off-topic, but anyway...

The standard spec is IEEE 802.3 std 200[025], and it specifies the
auto-negotiate (auto-neg) protocol (among other things). If both ends
implements auto-neg as specified, everything works fine and you get
the best link-settings both supports. If you turn off auto-neg, you
have to set the port to the same setting in both ends. The only reason
to turn off auto-neg is that one end isn't implementing auto-neg
according to spec (and I'd say it is broken). In that case you have to
setup the ports in both ends manually in order to guarantee that it
works.

If one end is set to auto-neg and the other is hard set to 100 Mbps
full duplex with auto-neg turned off, the auto-neg port will end up in
100 Mbps half duplex in most cases.

The reason for this is that it will not receive any answer to the
auto-neg messages, and will then in most implementations resort to
parallel detection. Parallel detection can sense the speed (10 or 100
Mbps) but it is fundamentally impossible to know if the other end is
set in full or half duplex, without auto-neg.

All bridges and stations supporting full duplex are supposed to
implement the standard, and use the auto-neg protocol. A peer-partner
not implementing auto-neg is assumed to only support half
duplex. That's why the auto-neg end are set in half duplex.

Why would you turn off auto-neg if you want automatic
link-configuration???

/ Anders